The hardest part of transitioning from a systems builder to a founder isn't writing the code. It is convincing a real business to open their wallet and pay for the infrastructure you built. When I first started engineering digital infrastructure, I wasn't building massive SaaS platforms. I was doing custom development work—configuring e-commerce architecture and international payment parameters for an adventure travel brand in Malaysia, and designing localized administration interfaces for a commercial offset printer in Sri Lanka. Working directly with these cross-border and regional businesses taught me a fundamental lesson that most software engineers completely miss: Merchants do not care about your tech stack. They care about removing friction. The Problem with "Selling Software" Before I launched StoreSnap India,
I watched how traditional platforms pitched their services to micro-businesses. They would sell them on feature bloat: complex dashboards, multi-step onboarding processes, and heavy administrative interfaces. But a local merchant doesn't want to spend three weeks learning a new corporate SaaS tool. They just want to get their inventory online and clear checkouts instantly. The heavy abstraction of traditional e-commerce wasn't a selling point; it was a barrier to entry. I realized that if I wanted to acquire paying customers, I couldn't sell them "software." I had to sell them a direct path to their own users. Landing the First Client My first paying customer didn't buy a pitch deck. They bought a solution to a bottleneck. When I approached them with the early architecture of StoreSnap, I didn't talk about my background in computer applications or the structural logic of the code. I simply showed them a zero-login, mobile-first checkout process that worked on their phone in seconds. I told them: “You don’t need to install anything, and your customers don’t need to register an account to buy your product.” That was the turning point. The invoice wasn't closed because of fancy engineering jargon; it closed because the product stripped away the technical friction that was keeping their sales offline. The Takeaway for New Founders If you are a developer trying to get your first paying user, stop adding complex architectural layers just to make your product look "enterprise." True digital empowerment is lightweight. Do more with less. Find the one specific point of friction that is slowing down a merchant's daily operations, remove it completely, and the revenue will follow naturally.
Curated by Mohamed Tharik. Founder & Systems Builder at StoreSnap India, engineering frictionless digital infrastructure for the next generation of commerce.


Comments
Post a Comment